Generally, hair grows about half an inch per month. You can stimulate this growth if you follow all or some of the tips below. In some cases, women have reported that by applying these techniques their hair has grown about one quarter to one-half inch in a week.
If you are curious what your results will be, grab a meter to measure your hair and try the following over a period of one week. Then measure your hair again. You can make a chart and put the figures at the end of each week to see what the long-term results will be.
Use natural oils
Natural oils like coconut oil, almond oil, argan oil, olive oil, jojoba oil and castor oil are extremely beneficial for your hair. They provide it with special nutrients, keep it hydrated and as a result the hair is healthier and shiny. Here are two ways how to use them:
- Hair treatment with hot oil – warm some coconut, jojoba, argan or olive oil on a stovetop or in a bowl of boiling water and massage it gently in your scalp with fingers. Be careful with the temperature – the oil should be warm not hot, wait some time to cool down if necessary. Massage your scalp for about 15 minutes, then run the rest of the oil through your hair and let it stay for about 30 minutes. Wash your hair thoroughly using shampoo. You can do it 2-3 times a week.
- Hair masks – there are many ready-made hair masks that you can use but here we suggest one that you can make by yourself in no time. Mix 1 cup of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon almond oil, jojoba oil and macadamia oil. Apply the mask to damp hair and leave it for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly using your everyday shampoo and/or conditioner. You can use the mask once or twice weekly.
Adopt a proper hair care routine
It is very important to follow a proper hair care routine. Washing your hair every day is not in its best interest. Make sure that you know how to wash your long hair right and what are the alternatives to shampooing if you want healthy long hair.
Here is a very simple routine that you can follow:
- Don’t shampoo too often
- Rinse with cold water at the end of the shower
- Don’t wrap it in a towel after bath
- Let your hair airdry whenever possible. Even cold air hair dryer can damage the hair
- Brush properly
- Trim regularly
- Avoid styling tools
Follow a healthy diet
Eating healthy is beneficial for your entire body, including your hair and nails. If you want to have healthier hair make sure that you drink sufficient water and consume foods rich in vitamins A, B, C and E, zinc, copper, magnesium, selenium. Foods high in protein are very important too. Your diet shall include meat, fish, eggs, nuts, whole grains and beans and definitely exclude fast food.
Try the “inversion” method
Lately, the “inversion” method became quite popular as a stimulant of hair growth. Basically, you need to put your head below your heart to encourage the blood flow that can stimulate hair growth. You can practice it for 4-5 minutes every day. The most popular pose is to lay on the bed with your head dangling off the edge of the bed and your neck supported by the edge of the bed. The “inversion” method can be practiced with some yoga poses too – the downward dog, shoulder stand or head stand.
Always come out of the inverted position slowly so that you don’t feel dizzy.
A handful of tips for healthier hair
Here are a few tips that will help you on the road to having healthier and longer hair. They are straightforward and easy to follow.
- Coconut oil maintains hair in good condition and makes it easier to take care of it. It is especially good for longer hair. While it won’t stimulate growth as such, it will provide your hair with essential nutrients and make it healthier.
- Be careful with ponytails because if the ponytail is too tight it may damage your hair and cause headache. If there is a dent in your hair once you take the ponytail down, it means that it was too tight.
- Use boar bristle brushes if possible since they are good for your hair. They make your hair shiny and healthy without styling products, improve the hair texture and reduce frizz. If you want to brush your hair 100 strokes a day then do it with a boar bristle brush. Synthetic bristle brushes are good only for styling hair and have to benefits for its health.
- Live a healthy life and you will see the benefits for your hair – it will be stronger, shinier and grow faster. This includes having good rest, drinking sufficient water and eating a well-balanced diet.
- Wearing scrunchies not only doesn’t help hair growth but even prevents it. Putting your hair in too tight hair styles every day will only damage it.
- If you want thick, long hair with maximum volume overnight try high quality hair extensions. Consult with a reputable hair extension specialist who can give you advise which type and method is the best for you. Know that professionally applied extensions will not damage your hair.
- Choose a shampooing routine and stick to it at least a month so that you can see any results. Change it after that period if it doesn’t work for you.