The discussion about how often to wash our hair goes hand in hand with the question which shampoo is better for me and are there alternatives.
Depending on your hair type and length you might need to wash your hair daily or once in a week. If your hair is very fine and your scalp tends to be oily then you should go for daily washing. The thicker, drier and curlier your hair is, the less the frequency of washing. If you have long hair, then it is better to follow a special routine in order to wash it the right way. But if you want to avoid the daily shampooing, without totally skipping it, keep reading for some inspiration.
Tricks to avoid shampooing
There are some alternatives to shampooing your hair way too often but still keep it clean and well looking. Here are a few tricks to try:
- Style your hair – if your hair was styled, keratin-treated or air-blown after being washed, it will look clean longer and you can go a week without washing it. When you see the first signs of your long hair getting “dirty”, you can put it in a side braid or a bun. For a shorter hairdo you can use accessories such as hats or head scarfs.
- Try hair extensions – there are different methods of adding extensions to your hair and some of them will allow you to go longer without washing. Since the best hair extensions are made of real human hair, however, make sure to ask the hair extension specialists for advice how to properly treat them.
- Apply powder – if you apply powder to the roots of your hair it will absorb the oil and won’t let it go down your bangs. Thus, you can give your hair another shampoo-free day. It is better to try this option first over the weekend, for example, so that you know how your hair will react and if it will have the desired effect. Do not use it as a quick remedy before an important meeting. In such cases better choose the next option.
- Use dry shampoo – dry shampoo is a great product that can be used not only as alternative to lathing up your hair. Some hair stylists use to lift a fresh blowout, for example. Dry shampoo is also excellent as a preventive measure. You can spray your hair before going to bed and it will work overnight to absorb the excessive oil.
- Replace the shampoo with a conditioner – you know that the leave-in conditioner is good for styling your hair, but did you know that you can use your conditioner instead of a shampoo? That’s right. You can wet your hair and add some conditioner to refresh it or you can wash your hair only with a conditioner once in a while without adding shampoo. This is a nice change that will revitalize your hair.
The “No poo” method
Since we are talking about alternatives to shampooing, it is worth mentioning the “no poo” method. “No poo” (short for no shampoo) is collective term for methods of washing hair without commercial shampoo. If you ask hundred no poo-ers, you will find hundred different routines that they follow and products that they use to avoid the shampoo. Some still go for the organic type of this product, while others choose only alternatives. Do not hurry to try them on your hair before you research them, though, since they are suitable for certain types of hair and may not have a very good effect on yours. Or in case you have some allergies towards any of their ingredients. Here are some of the most common products that replace the shampoo:
- Baking soda
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice
Now, the last one may surprise you as it means replacing your shampoo virtually with nothing. This alternative, however, is worth trying even if you are not a fan of the “no poo” movement. The focus here is on massaging the scalp when you are under the shower and letting your body do its work. You will let the natural oil remain on your scalp and protect and moisturize your skin and hair.
So, if you feel the urge to wash your hair every day maybe skip the shampoo once in a while and just enjoy the nice warm water rinsing through your hair.