No matter if you have long or short hair, you know that variety is one of the best ways to express yourself. Changing your color, adding extensions or simply sporting a new hairdo can be a mood booster and make you feel more confident. Therefore, we are in for some hair experiments as long as they are done in the proper way. Today, we are going to pay some attention to the flat iron – it is a tool that probably almost every woman has and uses either regularly or once in a blue moon. The trick, however, is to do it right.
If you are a bit tired of your kinky or curly hair, you can try flat ironing it once in a while. However, make sure to do it in a proper way in order to avoid overheating it or damaging it beyond repair. The flat iron as any other styling tool, should be used with care and not too often. Here are a few tips that will help you have a different hairdo, while keeping your hair in perfect condition.
Protect your hair from the heat
You may not be realizing it but your hair can burn the same way your skin does – you simply don’t feel the pain until you see your ruined locks. Therefore, you need to apply a moisturizer prior to using a flat iron. Any heat protection spray or lotion will do the trick but it is best to choose one that works for your hair and stick to it. If you want even better results, make sure that you use conditioner every time you wash your hair and that you wash it well from the shampoo.
Use the flat iron only on dry hair
Do not be tempted by the idea to use your flat iron for drying your hair. This is a big no-no in terms of hair care. While wet, your hair is very fragile and you will damage it quite easy with the hot tool. Therefore, you need to patiently wait until your hair is completely dry prior to strengthening it. It is ok to blow dry it if in a hurry but do not combine the two manipulations too often in order to avoid overheating and damage of your locks.
Straighten your hair slowly and in sections
If you want to achieve better results, separate your hair into layers and straighten each section. You can use clips to put the hair on which you are not working at the moment. In order to avoid damage, go over each section as slowly as possible. Focus on the quality and not on the speed of flat ironing your locks.
Always finish with a serum
Now that you have achieved the perfect hairdo with the flat iron, make sure that it will last longer by applying the right finishing product. Spray your hair with a serum that will make sure your hair will stay smooth and look shiny and gorgeous.
How to flat iron your human hair extensions?
Hair extensions are quite popular today and the majority of women choose natural hair extensions, since they are of high quality, easier to maintain and on top of that can be styled in various ways.
As the flat iron is one of the common tools used for styling hair, it is important to know how to use it on hair extensions. The best thing to do is to consult the hair stylists about main things such as the maximum temperature you need to use or which are the best products that you need to apply. Otherwise, you need to follow the practical tips as above. Keep in mind the following:
- Always start with the lowest setting of your flat iron and adjust it gradually
- Do not exceed 300°F to 350°F as this is the best temperature for flat ironing your hair extensions
- Make sure your hair moisture is always at the right level, not only prior to flat ironing
- After you are done with the flat iron, put a style sealant or serum to finish the hairdo
If you want to keep your hair extension in good shape as long as possible, refrain from using too much hair styling products or tools. The same is generally valid for your natural hair as well. Go for more subtle hair colors and do not experiment too often with nuances. Take good care of your hair and it will repay you back.
Keep your flat iron life span longer
If you want to use your flat iron as long as possible, you need to take good care for it. There are two simple principles to follow in order to have your tool in good condition;
- Clean the plates of your flat iron regularly – the hair products that you use to protect your hair can actually reduce the efficiency of the tool or even damage it. Use a cloth with rubbing alcohol to clean the plates from any accumulated dirt.
- Always wait for the flat iron to cool before putting it away – as with any heating tool, the flat iron can melt or singe something if left in the drawer while still hot. In addition to that, this can also damage the tool itself. Therefore, leave the flat iron at a safe place and check that it is completely cold before wrapping the cord around it and putting it back where it belongs.
Follow the simple tips above and you will be able to enjoy your straightened hair longer, while keeping it in good condition. Take proper care of the flat iron too, so you can have the results you want.